
Gulf States Back Iran Fee Plan
PHOTO CAPTION: Vessels at the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, July 26, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer
DUBAI, July 28 — Oman has secured backing from Gulf states for a proposal that would allow Iran to collect voluntary fees from ships using the Strait of Hormuz, a Gulf source told Reuters on Tuesday.
The proposal could provide a path toward ending disruptions to oil and gas shipments caused by the U.S.-Israeli war with Iran.
President Donald Trump said “good talks” with Iran were underway after he ended a renewed U.S. bombing campaign over the weekend. He also threatened to restart the strikes if negotiations failed to produce an agreement.
Iran denies seeking to resume negotiations with the United States.
Before the war, about one-fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas passed through the Strait of Hormuz. Iran effectively closed the waterway to vessels other than its own after the United States and Israel attacked Iran on February 28.
A deal reached last month partially reopened the strait, but the agreement collapsed in early July after Iran fired on vessels using a shipping channel it does not approve.
Iran has said it wants to manage the strait with Oman, which controls the opposite shore, and collect service fees from ships passing through it.
Washington wants to restore the system in place before the war, when vessels could travel through the strait without making payments. The United States has said mandatory transit fees would be illegal.
Under Oman’s proposal, Iran would not have sole control over the waterway, and any fees would be voluntary, the Gulf source said.
The arrangement would be similar to a system used in the Strait of Malacca, where Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore request voluntary contributions from ships to support navigation, environmental protection and search-and-rescue operations.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi discussed the Strait of Hormuz with his Omani and Saudi counterparts on Monday, according to an Iranian Foreign Ministry statement. The ministry said Araqchi emphasized the need for regional cooperation.
Trump ended the latest U.S. air campaign after military commanders advised that the strategy had run its course. The renewed bombing lasted 13 nights.
The strikes killed scores of people in Iran and destroyed bridges and tunnels in the country’s south, along with military targets.
Iran responded with attacks on U.S. bases in neighboring countries that killed four service members. It also struck civilian infrastructure in Gulf states, saying those attacks were retaliation for U.S. strikes on civilian targets.
Iran has said it will hold its fire as long as Washington does the same.
Drone attacks were reported in Jordan, Saudi Arabia and northern Iran on Monday. Jordan said it downed another drone on Tuesday.
Trump expressed optimism Monday that an agreement could end the five-month conflict, but warned that U.S. strikes could resume.
“I think there’s a good chance that something could happen, and if it does, good, if it doesn’t, we go back to doing what we were doing two days ago,” Trump said.
Iran says it has not sought new negotiations with Washington and accuses the United States of violating an agreement reached last month on a framework for talks to end the war.
Trump was scheduled to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Washington on Tuesday.
Israel participated in the initial bombing campaign but has not been involved in the subsequent peace talks. Relations between Trump and Netanyahu have recently been strained.
Trump has sought to prevent Netanyahu from attacking targets in Lebanon to weaken Iran-backed Hezbollah militants, a move that could complicate talks with Tehran.
The end of the U.S. bombing campaign sent oil prices down about 8% on Monday. Prices continued to fall Tuesday, with Brent crude futures dropping more than 2.5% to about $86 per barrel by mid-morning.
Washington and Tehran reached an agreement in June establishing a framework for talks intended to take place by the end of August. The talks are meant to address major issues, including Iran’s nuclear program.
The two sides disagree over the framework’s language concerning the Strait of Hormuz. Washington says the agreement requires Iran to permit free passage, while Tehran says it gives Iran authority to supervise transit.
(Source: Reuters)










