Skip to content

Cart

Your cart is empty

Article: US strikes destroyed only one of three Iranian nuclear sites, officials say

US strikes destroyed only one of three Iranian nuclear sites, officials say

US strikes destroyed only one of three Iranian nuclear sites, officials say

PHOTO CAPTION: Illustrative photo — A U.S. Air Force B-2 Spirit takes off to support Operation MIDNIGHT HAMMER at Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri, June 2025. (Courtesy photo via U.S. Defense Visual Information Distribution Service - DVIDS)

 

A new U.S. assessment has found that U.S. strikes in June mostly destroyed one of three targeted Iranian nuclear sites, but the other two were not as badly damaged, NBC News reported on Thursday, citing current and former U.S. officials. 

The report said that U.S. officials believe the attack on Iran's Fordow nuclear facility was successful in setting back enrichment capabilities there by as much as two years, citing two current officials.

The two other facilities that the U.S. struck were not as badly damaged and may have been degraded only to a point where nuclear enrichment could resume in the next several months if Iran wants it to, the report added.

Reuters could not immediately verify the NBC report.

White House spokesperson Anna Kelly told Reuters in an emailed statement: "As the President has said and experts have verified, Operation Midnight Hammer totally obliterated Iran's nuclear capabilities."

The chief Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell told NBC that U.S. President Donald Trump "was clear and the American people understand: Iran's nuclear facilities in Fordow, Isfahan, and Natanz were completely and totally obliterated. There is no doubt about that."

The U.S. launched strikes on Iran's nuclear facilities last month, saying that they were part of a program geared towards developing nuclear weapons. Tehran maintains that its nuclear development is purely for civilian purposes.

A preliminary assessment in June from the Defense Intelligence Agency suggested that the strikes may have only set back Iran's nuclear program by months. But Trump administration officials said that assessment was low confidence and had been overtaken by intelligence showing Iran's nuclear program was severely damaged.

According to Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi, the strikes on the Fordow nuclear site caused severe damage.

 (Reporting by Surbhi Misra in Bengaluru; Additional reporting by Angela Christy;Editing by Bernadette Baum, Ros Russell and Nia Williams // REUTERS)

MORE FROM THE

OAF NATION NEWSROOM

Mediators present updated Gaza ceasefire proposal to Israel and Hamas

Mediators present updated Gaza ceasefire proposal to Israel and Hamas

PHOTO CAPTION: Illustrative photo — Smoke rises in Gaza after Israeli airstrikes as seen from the Israeli side of the Israel-Gaza border, July 16, 2025. REUTERS/Amir Cohen   WASHINGTON  -  Qatar, E...

Read more
Israel sends tanks into Gaza's Deir al-Balah, raising concerns among hostage families

Israel sends tanks into Gaza's Deir al-Balah, raising concerns among hostage families

Israeli tanks pushed into southern and eastern districts of the Gazan city of Deir al-Balah for the first time on Monday, an area where Israeli sources said the military believes some of the remain...

Read more