Skip to content

Cart

Your cart is empty

Article: Niger orders troops to “maximum alert”

Niger orders troops to “maximum alert”

Niger orders troops to “maximum alert”

PHOTO CAPTION: Representational photo — Members of Niger Special Operation Force receive range procedure instructions near Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire while participating in Exercise Flintlock, March 2, 2023. (U.S. Army Photo by Cpl. Clara Soria-Hernandez via U.S. Defense Visual Information Distribution Service)

 

 

By Boureima Balima

NIAMEY (Reuters) - The junta in Niger has ordered its armed forces to go on highest alert, citing an increased threat of attack, according to an internal document issued by its defence chief on Friday that a security source in the country confirmed was authentic.

The document, which was shared widely online on Saturday, said the order to be on maximum alert would allow forces to respond adequately in case of any attack and "avoid a general surprise".

"Threats of aggression to the national territory are increasingly being felt," it said.

 

Hats



The main West African bloc ECOWAS has been trying to negotiate with the leaders of the July 26 coup, but has said it is ready to deploy troops to restore constitutional order if diplomatic efforts fail.

On Friday, the bloc downplayed this threat and said it was "determined to bend backwards to accommodate diplomatic efforts," although an intervention remained one of the options the table.

"For the avoidance of doubt, let me state unequivocally that ECOWAS has neither declared war on the people of Niger, nor is there a plan, as it is being purported, to invade the country, ECOWAS Commission President Omar Alieu Touray told reporters.

The bloc's decision earlier in August to activate a so-called standby force for a possible intervention has raised fears of an escalation that could further destabilise the insurgency-torn Sahel region.



(Additional reporting by Camillus Eboh in Abuja; Writing by Alessandra Prentice; Editing by David Holmes)

Tees

Patches

MORE FROM THE

OAF NATION NEWSROOM

Iran says Iraq agreed to disarm, relocate Kurdistan militants

Iran says Iraq agreed to disarm, relocate Kurdistan militants

Iran and Iraq have reached an agreement that "armed terrorist groups" in Iraq's Kurdistan region will be disarmed and relocated next month, Iran's foreign ministry said Monday. Tap for the full brief.

Read more
Newest NATO member Finland to spend 2.3% of GDP on military

Newest NATO member Finland to spend 2.3% of GDP on military

NATO's newest member Finland plans to spend 2.3% of its gross domestic product (GDP) on defense next year, its defense ministry said Monday. Tap for the full brief.

Read more
#3