Iranian navy says it forced US submarine to surface
DUBAI (Reuters) -Iran's navy forced a U.S. submarine to surface as it entered the Gulf, Iranian navy commander Shahram Irani told state television on Thursday, but the United States Navy's Fifth Fleet denied such an incident had taken place.
"The U.S. submarine was approaching while submerged, but the Iranian submarine Fateh detected it and carried out... manoeuvres to force it to surface as it went through the Strait (of Hormuz). It had also entered into our territorial waters but ... it corrected its course after being warned," Irani said.
"This submarine was doing its best, using all its capacities, to pass in total silence and without being detected," Irani said. "We will certainly reflect to international bodies the fact that it had violated our border."
The U.S. Navy's Fifth Fleet, based in Bahrain, denied what it called Iranian "disinformation".
"A U.S. submarine has not transited the Strait of Hormuz today or recently," Commander Timothy Hawkins told Reuters.
"The claim represents more Iranian disinformation that does not contribute to regional maritime security and stability."
The U.S. Navy said earlier this month that the nuclear-powered, guided-missile submarine Florida was operating in the Middle East in support of its Fifth Fleet.
Iranian and U.S. forces have had a number of confrontations in the past. In early April, the Iranian navy said it had identified and warned off a U.S. reconnaissance plane outside the mouth of the Gulf. In 2019, Iran shot down a U.S. drone which it said was flying over southern Iran.
(Reporting by Dubai newsroomEditing by Peter Graff and Gareth Jones)
MORE FROM THE
OAF NATION NEWSROOM
Zelenskiy says it's time for NATO to invite Ukraine into alliance
President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said on Thursday it was time for NATO to take the political decision to invite Ukraine to join the military alliance, and that Kyiv wanted to know when it would become...Read more
US to send more troops to Djibouti in case of Sudan evacuation, official says
The United States is preparing to send more troops to its base in Djibouti in case of an evacuation from Sudan, a U.S. official said — as renewed gunfire erupted Thursday and the latest ceasefire b...Read more