Sudanese army says paramilitary mobilization risks confrontation
By Khalid Abdelaziz Nafisa Eltahir
KHARTOUM (Reuters) -Sudan's army warned on Thursday of a risk of confrontation after mobilisations by a powerful paramilitary group, underlining growing strains between the rival forces and a potential complication in moves to restore civilian rule.
It could spell prolonged strife across a vast country already dealing with economic breakdown and flare-ups of tribal violence.
The mobilisation by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) headed by General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo represented a "clear violation of law," the army said in a rare comment on a dispute that has hampered a planned transition to democracy.
"These movements and deployments happened without the agreement of the leadership of the armed forces or even coordination with it," the army spokesman said.
"Their continuation will lead to more tension and divisions that could lead to insecurity in the country."
The RSF emerged from militias involved in the conflict in Darfur which broke out 20 years ago, and has been accused of human rights abuses. It operates under its own legal code and chain of command.
The RSF joined with the military to overthrow long-ruling Islamist strongman Omar Hassan al-Bashir in a coup in 2019. The two forces then carried out another coup in October 2021.
Relations between the military and the RSF have since deteriorated, forcing a delay in the signing of an internationally-backed agreement with political parties for a two-year, civilian-led transition to free elections.
The army statement advised politicians not to get involved in tensions inflamed by negotiations on the integration of the RSF within the military as part of the new deal.
Dagalo, better known in Sudan as Hemedti, has said he regrets the coup and supports the U.N., Western- and Gulf-backed transition deal to help prevent the resurgence of pro-Bashir Islamists, a concern shared by civilian political parties.
The RSF began redeploying units in the capital Khartoum and elsewhere amid talks last month, military sources told Reuters at the time, prompting the army to go into a state of high alert, particularly around the presidential palace.
The army's warning on Thursday was spurred by a movement of RSF vehicles near a military airport in the northern city of Merowe reported by local pro-democracy groups. The RSF said late on Wednesday the repositioning of vehicles was part of its normal duties in coordination with the regular armed forces.
Witnesses told Reuters that they saw a convoy of RSF vehicles including armoured trucks enter Khartoum on Thursday.
Political figures issued statements on Thursday about attempts to mediate between the RSF and army high command.
Three ex-rebel chiefs now in government posts said they had reached out to army General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, head of the ruling Sovereign Council, and Dagalo, his deputy on the council, in an attempt to mediate.
"We found both sides to be responsive," Malik Agar, Jibril Ibrahim, and Minni Minawi said in a statement, adding that they called on them to make concessions to prevent bloodshed.
Earlier, the head of the National Umma Party, Fadlallah Burma Nasir, a retired soldier, invited the generals to a meeting, imploring all sides to learn lessons from civil conflicts in other countries in the region.
However, mediator sources told Reuters that while both Hemedti and Burhan had been open to mediation, they had remained intransigent in their positions.
The central dispute is over the leadership of the military in the interim period before integration, with Burhan insisting on the army remaining in charge while Hemedti demanding a civilian to head the governing council.
Hemedti, who has amassed considerable wealth and expanded domestic and foreign relations, has said repeatedly in speeches that he wants no confrontation with the army.
(Writing by Michael Georgy and Nafisa Eltahir; editing by Angus MacSwan, William Maclean and Mark Heinrich)
MORE FROM THE
OAF NATION NEWSROOM
SKorea to lend 500,000 artillery shells to US, report says
South Korea has reached an agreement to lend the United States 500,000 rounds of 155mm artillery shells that could give Washington greater flexibility to supply Ukraine with ammunition, a South Kor...Read more
NKorea launches new type of ballistic missile, South says
North Korea fired a new model of long-range ballistic missile on Thursday, South Korea said, triggering a scare in northern Japan, where residents were told to take cover, though there turned out t...Read more